The Vice President, Dr. Mohamed Juldeh Jalloh yesterday paid an unannounced visit to the Sierra Leone Ports Authority at Cline Town in Freetown.
On his arrival at the Quay, he was welcomed by jubilant workers who were chanting “Juldeh Bioooooo Juldeh Bioooooo Aaahhhhh”.
The VP was taken on a conducted tour of the Quay by the General Manager of the Ports, Mr. Abu Bangura and other senior members of the management team. He also had a closed door meeting with management and other key stakeholders and told them to ensure that the Government Executive Orders are implemented accordingly.
In a government statement issued on 9th April 2018, the following orders were decreed “As part of government commitment to reducing leakages and enhancing domestic revenue mobilization for financing development programs.
- All duty and tax waivers to organization, agencies, companies and contractors are suspended except for organizations that fall under the relevant Vienna convention on diplomatic mission to which Sierra Leone is a signatory.
- Duty and tax waivers enjoyed by all other organization under agreement ratified by parliament are similarly suspended forthwith.
- All duty exemption permits are hereby suspended.
- All current exemption request submitted to government must be retrieved immediately by the applicants concerned.
- All ministries, department and agencies of government that collect and retain government revenue are hereby directed to transfer all such revenue into the consolidated revenue fund with immediate effect consistent with the provision of the fiscal management and control act, 2017.
- The Accountant General is also hereby directed to close all the revenue collection accounts of agencies listed in the fiscal management and control act,2017 and to open same at the bank of Sierra Leone with immediate effect for the collection of a revenues previously administered by these agencies.
- The Chief Executive officer of all commercial banks are advised to stop with of funds from these accounts with immediate effect
- The export of timber logs is suspended with immediate effect.”
Vice President Juldeh Jalloh later left the Ports and proceeded on another assignment in Kono District.